Our proud history dates back to early Baltimore.
As Maryland’s oldest retirement community, our history dates back more than 200 years. Founded by a group of female patriots a mere quarter century after the birth of our nation, the community is named for Mary Young Pickersgill, who created the flag that flew over Fort McHenry during the War of 1812, and inspired Francis Scott Key to write “The Star-Spangled Banner.”
In 1802 a small group of concerned Baltimore women formed a charitable nonprofit organization, The Impartial Female Humane Society, to assist Baltimore’s poor widows and deserted wives. Mary Pickersgill served as president of the society in 1851 when the doors to the first Aged Women’s Home opened at Franklin Square. It would soon be joined by The Aged Men’s Home.
In the 1950s, both buildings were acquired by the City of Baltimore and the homes were relocated to their current location in Towson, and renamed Pickersgill Retirement Community.